Google

Monday, April 21, 2008

It's go, go, go with Teresa

Sometimes the residents refuse to deal with my staff and expect to see me personally to solve their problems.

By THO XIN YI, THE STAR

MY ADUN: Kinrara

Full name: Teresa Kok Suh Sim (DAP)
Age: 44
Marital status: Single
Hometown: Kuala Lumpur
Education: Universiti Sains Malaysia (Bachelor of Communications), Universiti Malaya (BA in political science, Master in Philosophy)
Party positions: DAP national publicity secretary, Wanita DAP national secretary
Government position: Selangor Senior State Executive Councillor in charge of Trade, Industries and Investments
Constituency: Kinrara (under the Puchong parliamentary constituency in Selangor). She is also the MP for Seputeh in Kuala Lumpur
Contact details: teresakok@yahoo.com.myThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it
Service Centres:L-02-01, Pusat Perniagaan Kinrara,PSN Kinrara Sek 3, Taman Kinrara,47100 Puchong.
Tel No: 03-8070 3807 Fax No: 03- 8076 9821
28-3A, 4th Floor, Sri Desa Entrepreneurs Park, Jalan 116/B, Off Jalan Kuchai Lama, 58200 Kuala Lumpur.
Tel No: 03-7983 6768 Fax No: 03- 7983 7576

Teresa Kok is an enthusiastic, energetic and enterprising lady, always on the go and working from dawn till late at night almost every day.

“I wake up at about 7am, and start working at about 8am.

“By the time I call it a day and go home, it's usually past 11.30pm,” she said.

Teresa has a driver to take her from one place to another, so she could catch some rest in the car. But most of the time, she is reading letters or newspapers and making arrangements for appointments on her mobile phone.

“It's very taxing and many people don't understand the situation,” she said, citing the demanding residents as an example.

No stopping this lady: Despite her busy schedule, Kok still has time for a walk.

“Sometimes the residents refuse to deal with my staff and expect to see me personally to solve their problems.

“Some even scold me for not showing up during floods while my assistants, who are my representatives in Puchong had already gone in the downpour to look into the problem,” she said.

Teresa said although her busy schedule was very taxing, she tried to make it a point to do some regular exercise.

“I must go for a walk once a week. I feel that I get tired easily if I don't,” she said.

“Once, a business journalist wanted to talk to me over some Chinese investors issues. I said I could only see him at 11.30pm and when he showed up at my condominium, I had this urge to go for a walk. We ended up talking about the issues while walking for half an hour, and I did some stretches along the way,” she said.

StarMetro: Do you blog?

Teresa: Yes, my blog address is teresakok.com Lim Kit Siang started it first and his blog became very popular, and many of us followed suit.

StarMetro: How much time do you spend on the computer each day?

Teresa: I have less time to blog and update my Facebook now. I also don't have the time to reply the e-mails individualy. I have posted on my Facebook that I won’t be accessible for some time due to my busy schedule. While waiting for my turn to speak in the Parliament, I use the time to blog and reply e-mails.

StarMetro: Are you into movies?

Teresa: Yes and I enjoy award-winning movies, those that are highly recommended or highlighted as controversial in the press, and whatever that catches my attention.

StarMetro: Do you enjoy reading?

Teresa: I don't have time for reading now and what I read mostly now are executive summaries and reports.

StarMetro: Got a nickname?

Teresa: No, but I know my members call me Si Tau Po (Cantonese meaning “woman boss”) sometimes.

StarMetro: Why did you name your Facebook's FluffPet as Taufoo Pok?

Teresa: I was registering an e-mail account but all names were taken up. After a few attempts I was angry so I thought why not try some Chinese food? I tried Taufoo and bingo, it's available (laughs). Then when I was required to type a username, I thought of Taufoo Pok.

StarMetro: What languages do you speak?

Teresa: English, Malay, Cantonese, Mandarin and Hakka.

StarMetro: Name an idol whom you look up to and why.

Teresa: Aung San Suu Kyi of Myanmar. I admire her for her untiring struggle for the people, democracy and human rights.

StarMetro: What's your favourite food?

Teresa: Pork steamed with salted fish. I hardly have this dish now but it's very nice.

StarMetro: Favourite actor and actress? Why?

Teresa: Anthony Hopkins and Gong Li. Both of them act very well and Gong Li is very pretty.

StarMetro: You have a weakness for...

Teresa: Earrings. It's something you can change every day and it's noticeable.

No comments:

Google